Tuesday, August 2, 2011

My Call To Women's Prison Ministry

I was a nervous wreck! My first prison talk was finished and ready to be presented at an all-level women's prison. I was driving to make copies of the women I was about to introduce them to: Rahab, the Samaritan Woman, Lot's Wife and Esther. The topic was: "God Loves Us and Can Use Us Just As We Are."


Shug, a writer? I don't think so, however, I spent countless hours writing trying to get this message right. It was almost like God’s hands were typing through my fingers. My hope was that these bold women would NOW become bold for Christ by the end of the service. 

"Remember, it's all about God!"  "God keeps his promises."  "God does the calling."  "God will equip."  "God will go before me…"  "What am I doing?"  "Did I somehow coerce my way into this prison speaking engagement?"  "I have taught at many different venues, but prison?" "Who am I going into the Prison?" 


Was it my non-stop complaining that irritated God when He interrupted me?

"I HAVE CREATED YOU FOR A TIME SUCH AS THIS!" 

Past memories literally flashed in front of my mind like a picture screen. My own poor decisions, past mistakes and stubborn rebellion were not about to be wasted. (By the way, that tamed rebellion occasionally rears up unexpectedly - just ask my husband.)

Does someone in that women's prison need to hear that God's love and forgiveness can change me from the inside - out? YOU BET SHE DOES! And He can do the same for her too.

While pleading for God’s forgiveness in doubting my call... I felt an overwhelming peace.



I confidently went through the Prison gate in good company…

with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.


I had a front row seat to watch these precious women laugh, cry and boldly accept Jesus as their Savior. 


A few questions to ask yourself: 


What "God" promptings have you had that Women's Prison Ministry is your purpose in life?


In prayer, have you asked God to either open the opportunity in prison ministry or close them if it's not your calling?


Have you ignored God's calling or doubted God’s call to serve inside the prison?

Are you trained and prepared to give these women your very best?



For perhaps... "God has created you for a time such as this?"





All For His Glory!
Shug


Here Am I Lord. Send me!  Isaiah 6:8


No comments:

Post a Comment