Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Student Driver? We Cannot Be In Authority Until We Can Submit To Authority!



I love speed! Exhausted from fast-paced, week long bicycling trip, I began speeding my car home dreading the four hours of asphalt ahead of me. To pass the time, I popped in a Christian speaker on CD. She was talking about obeying God in all areas of our lives. The obvious thing to do of course, was to think about my own life.


O.K. Shug - whose authority are you under? God's, my husband's, the government's?
Glancing over to the side of the road, I noticed a speed limit sign. It's funny, how I can be saved but my right foot is slow to follow? All I had to do was to look at the speedometer - I was speeding vigorously 10+ miles over the speed limit (at least that's all I'm willing to admit) blatantly disrespecting the government God has put in place.


At that moment, God convicted my heart in a big way, to be a Christ follower He wants our wholehearted obedience. So, I immediately did the following three things:

  1. Stopped: I stopped speeding and brought it down to the legal limit (not a one mile over). Then I set my cruise control for the rest of the 4 hour trip. 
  2. Surrendered: I surrendered my pride. Yes, speeding is pride - pride in ignoring the law and doing my own thing. Surrendering as the other drivers stared me down, speeding around my vehicle shaking their heads.
  3. Surroundings: I made a point of becoming fully aware of the authority in my daily surroundings. I then began obeying the authority God has put in my life - all to glorify Him.

WE CANNOT BE IN AUTHORITY UNTIL WE CAN SUBMIT TO AUTHORITY!

Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. Romans 13:1-2

To the one who is victorious and does my will to the end, I will give authority over the nations. Rev 2:26

Friends, may I challenge you? Are you are frustrated in your ministry leadership? Do you have the desire but you are waiting for the opportunity to use your leadership gifts? Maybe, your hope is to lead a ministry team into a Women's Prison?

  • Begin by asking God a simple question. "Lord, where am I failing to obey the authority you have put in my life? Please reveal it to me so I can submit out of reverence for you."


It is in submitting to God that we become strong. And it is in following Him we learn to lead. 

At times we may feel like we have a sign on our rear end that says: "Student Driver".  For those of you who stare at me while passing by, I have learned to put a smile on my face and joyfully wave while proclaiming:

"Student Driver: I'm in training... submitting to God's authority".


Shug

2 comments:

  1. Submission is the hardest concept to understand and obey, yet God has commanded us to do this. To obey. To be obedient. To not do this is an act of rebellion. Ouch! And rebellion is a sin under His authority. "I have stretched out my hand to a rebellious people, Who walk in a way that is not good, According to their own thoughts; A people who provoke me to anger continually to My face." Isaiah 65:2,3. I pray for us to have obedient hearts and a desire to please and honor Him in our submission, and to encourage one another in this. Blessings to you, LeeAnn

    ReplyDelete